Imperfect by Design

 There is nothing more noble than striving for excellence in life. It is this quest to improve constantly that polishes our life, awakens us to who we really are and gives us a deep sense of worth, pride and happiness that can’t be taken away by adverse external circumstances.

 But often we confuse our quest for excellence with perfection. We try to be flawless in ways that are less than natural. At work we abandon who we really are in a quest to fit into someone else’s definition of success. In terms of our appearance, we dread aging and fret over every zit or wrinkle that appears on our faces. Our home fails to bring out its soul as we whitewash every stroke our toddler made with her colourful hands on the walls. 

 

If you are anyone like me, you have probably burnt yourself out multiple times in keeping up with being perfect. I am emerging from one such burn out as I write this blog.  What has given me comfort is the acceptance of what is natural. And nature is anything but linear or symmetrical or impervious to decay. The key is to reach your own zenith using (not ignoring or hiding or fighting) your imperfections. 

 

Accepting imperfection is not being lax or negligent. It is not about living in clutter or abandoning accountability at work or ignoring your health and appearance. It is about moving towards a vision that empowers you, with complete integrity while embracing the chaos and obstacles that are part and parcel of that path. 

 

Nothing explains it more beautifully than the Japanese concept of “wabi sabi.” In traditional Japanese aesthetics, wabi-sabi is a world view centered on the acceptance of transience and imperfection. 



Credit: 98types.co.uk


The wabi – sabi philosophy comes alive as much in art, design and culture as in relationships, careers and lifestyles. This article on Marthastewart.com beautifully links this philosophy to actions in real life. 

 

For me personally, Wabi – sabi comes alive through Kintsugi , the Japanese art of repairing broken pottery by mending the areas of breakage with lacquer mixed with gold, silver or platinum. 



 

During my lowest moments, when I gave my all and still lost, I browsed through some wonderful works of Kintsugi art. In doing so,  I replenished my soul.  Yes, they are beautiful pieces of art, but more important, they are a reminder that I am complete and beautiful just the way I am and yet work in progress like everything else in nature. I realized that my job is to express myself and bring out the best within me. 


Note that I say, “….the best within me”, not the best in the world or better than so and so. It’s my best that comes out from a loving compassionate me, that embraces my imperfections and still chooses to become better and strive further. 


It takes courage. 


It takes wisdom. 


Wisdom that is way beyond the intellectual. It’s the wisdom of life that explodes from the depth of ones being. 


It takes being vulnerable, cause I am open to the world, to its judgements and reactions, to its disappointments and punishments. And yet I love and embrace myself. And choose to offer my best. This is my purpose. Not to make the world perfect, not to rid the world of chaos and misery, not to cleanse mankind of its sins…. All that might happen as well, but not without me moving forward compassionately. When I respect and appreciate my life in the midst of everything falling apart, in the midst of my gravest mistake, in the midst of my glaring flaws… I unlock the fuel that moves me forward and helps me achieve something seemingly impossible. 


Credit : phgmag.com


Comments

Popular Posts